When we are on foot we are whats called a pedestrian. As a pedestrian, the law provides protections when we are injured due to the negligence of another person or party. When this happens, this is known as a “pedestrian accident.” A pedestrian accident may occur anywhere someone is walking or standing: in a store, coming down a flight of stairs, crossing the street, walking down the sidewalk, or even merely standing still.
Some common pedestrian accidents include:
- Tripping on a defective sidewalk
- Tripping on a pothole
- Tripping on a broken curb
- Tripping on an object left in the path of pedestrians (such as an item left on the floor within an aisle of a store)
- Tripping on torn or buckled carpet
- Slipping on ice or snow
- Slipping on an overly waxey floor
- Slipping on a substance (such as a liquid or even fruit or vegetables)
- Being hit or struck by a car, bus, or truck
- Being hit by a falling object
- Falling due to a defective banister or railing
What are your rights?If you or a loved one has been injured in a Buffalo Area pedestrian-related accident that was caused by the carelessness of another party you are entitled to assert a civil claim to compensate your damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident, and lost income. In the case of a fatal accident, tthe estate may assert a wrongful death claim and/or a survival action for the decedent’s conscious pain and suffering.
Contact J John Sebastian Attorney for a free consult 716-362-1146